HERE ARE 6 GREAT ADVICE TIPS TO HELP YOU MAINTAIN A HEALTHY SPINE
1. REGULAR CHIROPRACTIC CHECK-UPS
At Wellsure Chiropractic, our team of expert Chiropractors are professionally trained to assist with the early detection and correction of spinal misalignments. Spinal misalignments that with time, may contribute to symptoms like neck pain, back pain, sciatica, joint stiffness, headaches as well as many other undesired joint or muscle problems.
Just like your regular dental check-ups for your teeth, regular spinal check-ups with you local Chiropractor in Caloundra may:
– Help detect if you have musculoskeletal problems early, and,
– Help prevent and correct unwanted postural problems, and
– Help to keep your body on track to help counteract some of the physical demands of life.
Speak with our Chiropractors to find out how often you should be checked to see if your spine is functioning optimally.
Contact our office on (07) 5438 2008 to arrange a spinal assessment and see if Chiropractic can benefit you.
2. TAKE CARE OF YOUR SPINE.
Your spine is unreplaceable! It is not made up of “spare parts’ easily sourced from your hardware store, but instead, your spine is one of your greatest assets.
Whilst on the one hand, we are strong advocates for living an active life, our Caloundra Chiropractors also demonstrate a strong passion towards improving the “daily care” we take of our spine
Now what does that mean?
It means to be active, but be smart about how we treat our spine!
For many patients attending our Chiropractic clinic in Caloundra, this means a complete review of their sleeping, sitting, driving and lifting habits as follows:
- When deciding on a mattress, ensure you select a supportive mattress (firm rather than soft) and utlise only quality supportive pillows. A supportive mattress and pillow should support the spine and the spinal curves of the body. Aim to sleep on either your side or your back, avoid tummy sleeping as this tends to be less supportive for your spine.
- If you drive or sit for long periods of time make sure you have adequate lumbar support. Regular intermittent breaks of getting up and walking around remains a must.
- If you work at a desk ensure your feet are flat on the ground with or without the use of a foot stool. Remember to keep your head on top of your shoulders.
- If a sit-stand desk is an option, take it!
- Ensure your workstation is ergonomically correct for you.
- When lifting, always lift with the legs. Be cautious when combining the following 3 movements together- lifting/reaching/twisting as this is a common injury position especially for the low back.
3. MAINTAIN GOOD POSTURE
Great posture helps reduce postural muscle fatigue, it aligns the joints, promotes efficient muscle engagement and helps to minimise joint stress. Good posture can also help prevent neck pain, back pain and certain headaches
If your posture isn’t correct please take the time to improve it! Contact Wellsure Chiropractic today on (07) 5438 2008 to book an appointment with a professional Chiropractor.
4. USE MOBILE PHONES AND LAPTOPS WISELY
Facebook, online newspapers, E-books, dating apps means many people today are often spending hours per day on laptops or mobile phone looking down and forwards. “Tech Neck” is the term attributed to having the head tilted down and forwards for lengthy periods placing excessive stress on the neck and shoulders. Our knowledge of mechanics tells us the further the person’s head is held forward from the upright position, the greater the mechanical strain placed on the joints and muscles of the neck. Long term strains can facilitate long-term damage to the neck and spine. When using mobile phones please remember to bring the mobile phone up to your eye level and when using a laptop always maintain upright posture.
5. CONSIDER YOUR SPINE WHEN CHOOSING YOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE
Regular exercise is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. When selecting your own exercise regime, ensure that your regime includes both flexibility and strengthening exercises for your spine.
We recommend a balanced exercise regime including the following:
- Regular stretching exercises: Cat/Cow, Childs Pose, Neck and Low back Stretches.
- Core engagement/ strengthening exercises: Exercise balls are particularly beneficial in strengthening the core whilst protecting the spine at the same time,
- Low Impact Cardiovascular exercise: Swimming, walking and cycling are great examples of low impact exercises that can help exercise the cardiovascular system.
* Remember, every bit helps and even small exercise choices such as going for a walk on your lunch break, taking a stroll after dinner, taking the stairs and not the elevator can have ever lasting positive health impacts.
6. MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT
It’s quite easy to stray off track to the point where we find ourselves carrying a few extra kilos. Unfortunately, these extra kilos may increase the likelihood of developing serious health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and more..
Regular exercise combined with healthy eating habits can produce health benefits such as reduced blood cholesterol, improved blood pressure and reduced blood sugars.
When looking at the food we eat, try to eat whole foods as opposed to processed, high salt foods. Where possible aim for a “Clean” balanced diet using lean protein, fresh fruit, salad and fresh vegetables.